Tuesday, March 10, 2009

guest artist, Sheryl Noethe!

What an exciting day of writing we had today! Local poet and author of Poetry Everywhere, Sheryl Noethe, came in and did a guest workshop with the students. She lead an exercise called, "going inside" where the kids were asked to become microscopic and "enter" whatever they chose. They were then asked to write, using their five senses, about the world from "inside." Here are some of the tremendous poems that came from our kids:

Inside Snow
by Gracie

If I could go inside something,
I would choose snow because I think
snow is cool.
Inside snow there is a passage way
to a never been seen land,
a shimmering town of stars.
I would smell the scent of a fresh flower
springing out from the ground.
Its sight is so dazzling that you might faint.
But as long as you have the courage to not
be burdened by the beauty of this flower,
you can find a door that is white and covered with stars.
It will lead you to a room where you are
the only thing of color.

Ruby Heart
by Savannah

I want to go inside my haert.
I smell beautiful perfume and it tastes like
a ruby, juicy strawberry.
The sight I see is a snowy, white mountain.
I hear rainbow animals.
The animals ilve in the ruby heart in the
ruby juicy strawberry.

As Frozen As Ice
by Mari

I walk into an ice cabin.
It's hollow water plips onto the floor
as it calls, "Plip! Plip! Plip!"
It smells damp,
it tastes misty.
A mist starts to float in the air.
It freezes the water.
I stop as frozen as ice.
I wonder what is happening.
I go farther in the cave.
I see chunks of ice, sides clear as crystal.
I sit down.
Again I am
frozen as ice.
Going Inside...
by Sam

If I could go inside a snowflake,
I think it would be like going inside
a maze with see through diamonds
and you would never know
where you are.
You would never be on the ground because
you would be falling from the sky.
You would be upside down,
right side up and so on.
Then it will be still,
you have landed.
Then you disappear.

Inside A Snowflake
by Ella

Inside a snowflake is
crisp, clear, white, pure and beautiful.
It tastes like ice with a watery
tang in the air.
It emlts in your mouth.
It's quiet and still, with a dim light
almost pitch black, like a night
with no moon.

Going Inside a Tree
by Phoebe

If I got to go inside anything,
I would go inside of a tree.
The tree smells damp and if I
touch it, some pieces of it would get stuck
to my hand. Right in front of me and
off in the distance, there are big bugs
wandering around.
Sometimes, there is a huge banging noise
and the whole tree would shake,
and a big beak would pop in
and eat some bugs.
It is a woodpecker.
I taste the humidity and
I get hot.
I walk out on a branch
and pop my head out of the tree and look down.
I see the green grass and I look up
and see the light, streaming through the leaves.
I walk back in.
I travel to the bottom of the tree
and see ants and three centipedes.
One tried to bite me.
Right then, I jump in a hole,
the hole leads to the roots.
The roots are damp and smell weird.
A huge ant is striking its long, bit
jaws in my face. I jump in a hole in the
top of the roots and I am out of the tree.

Cat's Tail
by Elliot

Going inside a cat's tail
There is a wire holding all these walls
I go deeper
And I find a control panel
So I start
Pressing
Buttons and the world I was in
Started to move very fast
So I pressed another button
And it stopped
Hard.
It went slow
and just then
I got shocked by something
and all these tails were floating.

Laugh! With Me
by Georgia

I am in a laugh.
Terrifying
Really, it changes every
Time
It's great and
Funny
Funny
and Suddenly
It's me, I am laughing, it

GROWS

I love to
laugh
with secrets and
giggles but mostly having
great fun
can turn
be grumpy
but what I eat
when I laugh is cackling
popcorn.
If I touch it I
scream
have fun
it's crunchy
laugh to great
things. Something
PERFECT and
laughable.

Rainbow
by Lorraine

Inside a rainbow it is
blurred,
dizzy. All of the sudden there's
a loud
twinkling
sound. It is a wind chime
blowing, a flute playing.
I go more inside the
rainbow. Bright colors are
everywhere. Red, orange, yellow, green,
blue, purple is right in front of me.
It is not like looking at a rainbow
from down below. It is much more
colorful when you are in a
rainbow.

Purple...Everything is Purple
by Abigail

As I go
inside purple
I see
lapping water against the banks
palm trees
swaying in the breeze
polar bears
shimmering pelts in the water
everything is purple
every flicker of
light
lightening crackling above my head
boa constricters
slighering on the salty, sandy rainforest
animals seem
to be
creeping
up on me from every direction possible.
West,
South,
East,
North.
Clockwise
opposite
clockwise
But at the same time
everything is purple.

Clouds
by Mabel

I am inside
a cloud with purple fluff
and all sorts of other colors
like blue, pink, green and more.
There are billions of stars that I fly right past.
I am heaven
I go to the cloud world and I glow
like fireflies
inside. Brilliant flowers grow all over me.
When it's light out
I love it when I rain all over the golden meadow.
In the future, I will travel far away
so the last place that I
was won't even see me.
Or sometimes I will be as gray as a sweet
elephant.
I gleam in the sunshine.
I go "bing" as
raindrops fall.
A life saver is who I am.
A cloud,
a cloud.

Pencils
by Llwyn

Going inside a pencil
would be so fun, seeing all
the lead and climbing up
to the top, looking from the top
of the eraser
seeing
all the writing
from the poet writing
poetry. I would
take out
my pencil to write some notes
for the
writer.

Going Inside
by Justin

Going inside a turtle
a shell as hard
as a rock, soft inside
hard on the outside,
he only has one predator, the -
Jaguar! Ba Ba Ba!

The Journey
by Otis

I will go inside my brain
sentences
are floating around
neon lights
light up
shine one after another
words popping in sometimes.
I slide down the neck
like a waterslide. Slide
down the arm in each
finger there is a bedroom.
I think it smells like Mars. Suddenly
I fall
and
fall
and
fall
and
fall out
of the shoe.
Mars?

Inside a Sticky Fish
by Addison

It is so sticky and I see fish
there is water
it has a little
island and it has
a house.
There are people.
It looks like they are
having a party with
one of my friends.
Oh no!
There is a wolf and there
are flying dragons too.
There was a nice,
cozy hammock and
there were starfish
that complimented me
before bed.

Inside a Drop of Water
by Bret

If I were inside a drop
of water, I would be a
mermaid
with a
sparkly
blue tail and
red
hair. It is a
circle
it is all
white water
it is
wonderful.
It tastes like fresh
drinking water, it
smells like wet air, it
feels
like sea water. It is
glorious.

Snowflakes
by Isabella

Outside somewhere, a
world
of snow, going inside
snowflakes
looks like a
crystally world, a
home
for me,
feeling of
happiness,
freedom
of old
world,
feels bumpy,
too sad of
leaving,
hope
of coming back...

Wonder
by Sydeney

I am going in a
fluffy bunny. I wonder
which way I will come in
and which way I'll come out?
So I might go in the ear.
What will I do now?
I'm wondering
who will help me?
Well, no one.
I may climb.
Climb
Climb
HAAAa! What fear in the ear.
Help, help, what a slide!
Gross!
I am in the brain.
now I must go out.
My mom will wonder
of me. I must go out
the eye. AAAAA! I'm in
the nose now. Oh, the bunny
is crying. I may give a
carrot to the bunny.
Haaa, ouch. I'm home.
Now to a wonderful carrot.
Now the bunny is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment