Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I am poems

I found this exercise in the book Poemcrazy by Susan Goldsmith Woolridge. It encourages children to answers questions such as, "If I were an animal, what would I be? If I were an element in nature, what would I be?"

Here are some pieces that we had time to focus on for publication today:

I Am
by Indra

I am the color of a
sparkling rain drop.
I am the shape of a star.
I make the sound of a buzzing bee.
I am a dolphin splashing in the sea.
I am an apple because I roll around.
I am a guitar and I play rock and roll.
I am the ocean because
I am crazy like the big waves.

I Am
by Bret

I am a soft quilt.
I am gray, white, black and brown like a race horse
or a ranch horse.
I am the sound of beating like a horses feet
hitting the ground.
I am a beautiful horse.
I am a beating drum.
I am all the loose earth on the ground.

I Am
by Abby

I am purple like a violet blooming in spring or a plum in fall,
all juicy and ripe.

I am a polar bear swimming through the cold waters,
shifting and changing direction in between the
icicles and small glaciers in the slow moving waters.

I am a slice of pie, delicious and warm
ready to get eaten and digested by humans
ready to roll down the road into the gaping hole
of a human's mouth.

I am a mountain all big, tall and proud.
I am home to many animals.
I feel like the boss of nature.

I am a violin playing soft tunes for people
all around me, playing soft noises and high pitched sounds
in the satisfied ears of people around me.
I am music.

I am a circle ready to go on an adventure and define the future.

I am the rainforest full of animals, plants and biodiversity.
I am LIFE!

I am a basketball being thrown into the basket high above me,
ready to score.

I am a high pitched whisper. My voice is harsh but soft
in the same way.

I Am
by Isabella

I am gold like the shining stars
reflecting on the river,
softly flowing through my feet.
I am the circle, like the sun,
going down and ready for night.
I am the sound of the graceful violin.
I am the lion who roams through the jungle.
I am the great vines wrapping around the trees.
I am the maple tree
full with leaves.

I Am
By Otis

I am life.
I am red like fire,
blazing in the night.
I am a kangaroo, playing tag with friends.
I am the number 25 with my friend Cent
on a gumball machine.
I am a sofa so comfy people
would even pay to sit on me.
I am a tree, impossible to cut down,
to give life to all.
I am life.

I Am
by Phoebe

I am a sparkly blue color like the whirling wind.
I am the shape of a jaguar that wanders in the bushes.
I make a quiet blowing noise like someone
blowing in your ear.
I am the number twelve.
I am the violin and go fast like my fingers hitting the strings.
In nature I am the element air.
I am air because air is twirly
and it wanders through the whole world,
soaring through the sky.
I am the kapok tree,
the roamer of the jungle.

I Am
by Gabriella

I am red like a sparkling ruby.
I am long like a flame.
The wind whispers to me that I am a howler monkey, crying out loud.
I am the number three because Jesus came alive on the third day.
I am silky, red, fluffy, raspberry
leaping in the air.
I am the piano in which my owner gracefully moves her hands across the board.
I am Antarctica, my wind softly blows,
WOOOOOOOHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.
I am the great tree standing in Antarctica
with my soft wind.
I am what I am and I will never change.

I Am
by Mari

I am side to side, up and down.
I am tie die.
I am a wave from the roaring ocean.
I am a fox, sly and sneaky.
I am one, quiet and happy.
I am spaghetti all wobbly and playful.
I am a violin, graceful and kind.
I am a waterfall roaring with laughter.
I am an acorn dropping on the ground.
I am a kapok, all filled with life.
I am a willow with graceful branches.

One day I will be the sun.

I Am
by Gracie

I am the color of a new oak sprouting from the ground in spring
when the snow just starts to melt and the flowers
start to bloom.
I am the shape of a ferocious and fierce Bengal tiger.
I am as gray as a sweet and gentle dolphin.
I am the number 555
because 5 is my lucky number.
I am the frozen ice land.
I am the sound of a summer breeze
gliding through the misty and damp
tropical rainforest.
I am a beaver building its dam in the cool river.
I am a strong metal table when it comes to standing strong.
I am a sweet cherry picked freshly from the vine.
I am a magical drum, pounding.
I am the soft breeze.
I am a great oak tree.

I will be me and I will never be anybody else.

I Am
by Andi

I am a yellow shining star
bright as the sun.
I am the shapes of life.
I am the sound of life.
I am the number you.
I am a piece of furniture called
"Be Yourself."

I Am
by Ella

I am lime green, like the darkest yellow, but the lightest green.
I am a small little puffball.
I am the sound of the wind or maybe a rushing river in a strong current.
I am a wolf with silverish, grayish and white fur
like the snowflakes that fall in its habitat.
I am the number eleven.
I am a pan of fresh baked cookies all toasty warm from the oven.
I am the rainforest, all dripping wet with moisture.
I am the wind whispering in the soft breeze.
One day I will be a ponderosa pine in the redwood forest.

I Am
by Sam

I am the color of a lilac
with orange spots.
I am the shape of a snake.
I hiss and stalk when I am mad.
I am a snake.
I live only in Africa.
I used to live all around the world,
but not any more.
I will spread across the world once again.

I Am
by Savannah

I am a sky raindrop in a dreaming sky.
I am a shape like a red ruby and
the shape of a diamond.
I am a sound of a click clacking bird.
I am a hiding fox.
I am a shining, shimmering number one.
I am a gold chair.
I am blue and purple like huckleberry cobbler.
I am an elephant drum.
I am a playful playground.
I am a blowing tree.
I am a blooming tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment