Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Am poems

Today's writing exercise was inspired by Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge's book, Poem Crazy. We continue to discuss the importance of using strong details and strong action to make our poems come to life. Here they identify themselves in a new way by answering questions such as, If I were a number, what number would I be? What sound? What animal? What element in nature? Once again, the children describe themselves in illuminating and fascinating ways.

I Am...

I am a tiger.
I am green.
I am a boy.
I can be green,
paint green,
marker green,
crayon green and
green pencil.

I am a grape,
I don't want to be eaten,
hahaha!

I am lightening crash,
storm starter,
hahaha!

-Oliver

I Am...

I am an owl, sitting in a tree,
waiting for a mouse to run across the field.
Snatch!
I am a violin playing soft music,
putting a baby to sleep with the
soft, comforting music.

I am the wind pulling leaves up
from the lake and sweeping them
into the sky.

I am a fawn leaping through the leaves
and trees, right behind my mother.

I am the grass whistling through the wind,
just waiting for something to happen.

I am a fish leaping out of the water
then going back into the sparkling,
crystal clear water.

I am the sun shining over the earth,
on every little thing.

-Gillian

I am a giant making
thunder out of his foot.
Most people get electrocuted
from the foot of the giant.
When the people get thundered
they have lightening
out of their foot.

-Beck

I Am...


I Am...

I am the color green
I am a giraffe walking gracefully and silently.
I am the marvelous number 13.
I am a Granny Smith apple in a china bowl
with many other fruits waiting to be gobbled up.
I am my twenty acres of my family's property
full of pine trees, rocks, wildlife and gorgeous creeks.
I am a cozy bed in a bedroom waiting for my
job of keeping people comfy during their slumber.
I am a little xylophone playing a playful tune.
I am a daisy in a vase as a centerpiece on a
table on someone's anniversary.
I am a beautiful oak holding a tree house in
a child's backyard.
I am the miraculous, amazing hum of a hummingbird.
I am the sound of shivering, icy water flowing
in a waterfall.
I am...
home.

-Hannah B.

I Am...

I am a purple flower with soft petals like a cloud, waving in the wind, making no sound at all.
I am a soft and sweet puppy with spots all over, looking for food.
I am a waffle steaming with the scent of syrup glazing around the room, just sitting there peeking from over the plate.
I am a juicy, delectable, red scrumptious apple, sitting all alone.
I am a flying candy cane, all sugary and sweet, the taste of peppermint filling my taste buds with glee.
And finally, I am a frog looking around and admiring everything.

-Whitney

I Am...

I am blue.
I am a puppy just begging for someone to take me.
I am bursting with energy.
I am the mountains.
I am the Earth, with all the delight.
I am leaping though the sky.
I am blowing with the wind.
I am a cat climbing the mighty tree.
I am peeping with excellent peeps.
I am a veterinarian.
I am saving animals in danger.
I am a mouse scurrying, trying to beat my saucy friends to the cheese.
I am an explorer.
I am scurrying under those rocks, trying to get away from those giant things trying to catch me in that little cave.
I am cartwheeling through the sky.
I am flying like fairies.
That is what I am!

-Nina

I Am...

I am a fly with googly eyes, buzzing in the classroom, hitting all the walls and trying to get out. Bzzz! Let me out!
I am a giant, stomping and smashing everyone's houses. Boom! Bang! Smashing all of the people so he can have that world for himself.
I am grape juice and purple and squirting juicy in everyone's mouth as they eat me. Squirtch! Squirtch! Oh no! Help me!
I am the best version of myself when I help cook with my mom when she's setting the table sometimes.
And also when I try to be nice to my siblings and do my chores, like clean up and brush teeth.
Also when I dance or take down the laundry to the washer and dryer.
Finally, when I read and look at the pictures in the World Record book.

-Sophie

I am a creepy crawly ant, climbing up an oak tree, scuttling for food as I squeeze into the cracks of the oak.
I am yellow, zapping with lightning in the electrifying sky.
I am snowy, breezy Mt. Everest, where I lay, King of the World, with people and animals shifting from place to place, looking for food.

-Hayden

I Am...

I am a big piece of pumpkin pie, sweet yummy pie getting ready to get gobbled down.
I am lucky number three - one of the small ones, but I am lucky.
I am the nice wave coming onto the beach, the salty wave.
I am a shadow of three moving branches.

-Garet

I Am...

I am an owl sitting in a tree, waiting for a mouse to run across the field... snatch!
I am a violin playing soft music, putting a baby to sleep with the soft comforting music.
I am the wind pulling leaves up from the lake and sweeping them into the sky.
I am a fawn leaping through the leaves and trees, right behind my mother.
I am the grass whistling through the wind, just waiting for something to happen.
I am a fish leaping out of the water, then going back into the sparkling crystal clear water.
I am the sun shining over the Earth, on every little thing.

-Gillian

I Am...

I am as blue as the sea...
I am like a speed ball...
I am a sparrow and a flower...
I am number three!
I am a Lego missing from the box...
I am a pink, rosy pie...
I am a violin playing in the miracle land...
I am a green pine tree in the forest...
But I am the last one!

-Benjamin Richardson

I Am...

I am a loud scream.
I am a clown eating
yummy jelly beans.
I am, "Thriller"
scaring the whole town.
I want to be a sushi man
living in a sushi world.

-Max

I Am...

I am a juicy apple, waiting to be eaten.
I am a piece of pumpkin pie,
full of pumpkin and I am nice and delicious.
I am a heart flying around in a body.
I am filled with love.
I am a beautiful bird, singing in the
wonderful, blistering wind up in the tree.
I am a beautiful bluejay.
I am as blue as the ocean.
I am a beautiful red fox.
I am as red a leaf.

-Ellie Swanson

I Am...

I am a sea urchin in the cool water
moving on the bottom of the sea.
I am a penguin sliding on teh ice,
feeling the wind on my wings.
I am a mother Earth,
protecting my children.
I am a warm bed,
waiting to be slept on.

-Wren

I Am...

I am red,
a red roaring fire
burning, destroying everything
in my path.
I am a football stadium,
roaring all the time,
full of action and energy.
I'm a fighter jet
rumbling and spreading fear
through the onlookers down below.
I am sizzling hot sauce,
spicy burning liquid,
ruining wonderful food.

-Will

I Am...

I am a turquoise ocean with a breeze
flowing calmly as the waves
splash against the shore.
I am the wind, gently brushing against
your unbreakable heart.
I am lightening, rapidly striking your mind.
I am an elephant with giant, floppy ears
flapping up and down with joy.
I am a gesture of music,
your friendly soother.
I am the number of multiplied mandys,
trying to hide,
no one will share.
I am a rolly, spinny, comfy chair
rolling from desk to desk.

-Liza

I am a songbird singing my
little heart out all day
while the sun turns bright
pink and orange like there's
a pomegranate in the sky,
waiting to be picked.
I am number one,
each number bows down to me like
little crumbs falling from the sky with
Slam! and a boom!
I'm a big fat lobster
steamed in lemon.

-Miko

I Am...

I am a hamster racing around and around
on it's wheel,
spinning, running, never stopping.
I am a musical note, soft, sweet,
just hanging on a line.
I am a bowl of warm noodles waiting
to be devoured.
I am sweet number one,
always there to help other numbers.
I am the loud, rambunctious
color green.

-Ella

I Am...

I am a big mob of chaos
stirring up trouble.
I am as loud as ten times louder
than how much those preschoolers
cream in a day.
I am very annoying and crazy,
my drawings are all scribbly,
my voice is all scratchy.
I am spicy, fiery hot dogs and pizza
and all spicy foods.
One day I will be
a big ball of flame.

-Ian

I Am...

I am a sad piece of dirt in the
backyard, brown like burnt bread
steaming and sizzling.

I am a bolt of lightening streaking through
the night sky, zooming past houses,
flying like the wind but
sometimes peaceful like a bug
but when a bug gets mad
so do I and then the
bee stings it's annoyer
but unlike the bee,
I let my anger out
on a pencil and snap it in half
CRACK!

I am black like night
shadowy and scary, freaky
but amazing.
I am an explorer, exploring
the lost city of Atlantis
with it's pillars and gold.

I am moss in a cave like night
with it's icicles so clear
you can see through them.

I am so fun that I am amazing,
I love yellow and make mushrooms.
I am cool and funny.

I am clean and neat.
I am smart.
My mom thought that piranhas
lived in the ocean.

I am silver like a silver slab.
I am a tiger.
I am a vine strangling
other trees. They are so tall
but no match for vines.
I am a leaf falling off a tree.
I am so amazing.
I am a river of silky milk.
I am swift.

-Joseph

I Am...

I am a black bird
singing in the glorious sunset
in the grassy marsh.

I am a guitar
rocking out
on the big stage
while people watch
me play.

I am a sweet pomegranate
tumbling into a person's stomach.

I am a big pine tree
growing very tall
in the quiet woods.

-Emiliano

I Am...

I am a green bold in the sky.
I am a bowl of shredded cheddar cheese
waiting to be eaten.
I am summer sun for the beach
where the boys and girls lie on towels.
I am number one and always will be.
I am, "Beat It" and have no one to sing me.
I am a cute monkey stuffed animal
in a boy's loft bed.

-Bruce

I Am...

I am a piece of rhubarb pie
at a birthday party with
thousands of kids,
a tiny mouse sneaks out of a hole in the ground
and gobbles me up.
I am a lynx walking swiftly over
deep snow without sinking in.
I am mud.
Mud like melted chocolate,
kids play on me and get
stuck in my skin.
I am number nine.
Nine is almost ten and
farther than eight.
I am the color green
painted on an abstract picture.
Someday, I would like to
soar like a bird.

-Ellie Jenni

I Am...

I am a basketball
bouncing through the air.
I am green like grass.
I am a warthog going crazy,
splashing mud everywhere.
I am a bowl of cereal,
waiting to be splashed into
a water slide.
I am a lightening bolt that
zooms through the air like
an airplane ready to land.
I am a nerf gun getting ready
to be launched into the air.
I am a lego brick,
getting ready to be pounded into
a police station.

-Ben

I Am...

I am a blue jay in my tiny next,
singing songs to May, June and July.
I am purple like a giant, fuzzy, warm
cozy, soft pillow.
I am a brown and white racehorse
running faster than any other horse,
his hooves digging up the ground behind me.
I am a giant, foamy wave washing up
on the sandy beach.
I am a fresh sushi roll waiting
to be served next to some
rock and rolls.
I am a Twister mat,
twisting people into knots.
My green and blue circles
stretch little girls and boys legs.
I am a microscopic person walking around the globe,
going wherever I want.
I am a dark blue water bottle
with light blue designs
and a red top,
sitting on the counter
waiting to be taken to school.

-Eliana

I Am...

I am a blue, rushing ribbon
floating down a stream
bobbing up and down,
going around and around and around
in a whirlpool.

I am a tree dancing
in the night, hopping,
spinning,
all around.

I am the green grass
waving in the wind,
rushing, swaying all around.

I am joy, love and happiness.

I am kind things all around you.

I am brave and swift.

-Sage

I Am...

I am a ruby red rose waiting
to be picked for a love bouquet.

I am a giant cat
pouncing in the jungle
waiting for my prey to come.

I am a pop song on the radio.
I wait for the grown-up to turn
it to my channel.

I am the warm piece of creamy, cherry pie
waiting to get out of the oven.
I'm already just the right temperature,
maybe some ice-cream could go nice.

I am the bright sunshine
warming the world,
giving nature life,
that calms the universe.

-Maya

I Am...

I am a blue car racing down the road.
I am a lion chasing it's prey.
I am a chair waiting to be sit on.
I am a number a billion.
I sit on everyone.
I am at the top.
I am a steak waiting to be
eaten by a human being.
I am duck tape, waiting to be used.
I am a BOOM!
I am a piece of paper
waiting to be drawn on.
I am what I want to be.

-Marcus

I Am...

I am a dolphin jumping out of the
sparkling sea,
splish, splash.
I am a ripe peach in
the summer breeze.
I am a manatee in the ocean
with my mom.
I am a delicious piece of caramel
and a great combination of
chocolate and vanilla ice cream,
I am a little kitty petted by my owner.
I am a lot of things.

-Dana

I am a sea serpent
drifting through the water.
I am red like hot lava
flowing quickly down the river.
I am the sound of a stampede of bulls.
I am speedy like a cheetah.
That's my movement.
I am the number 100.

-Julian

I Am...

I am an owl perched
on the branch of happiness.
I am a raindrop, spiraling down
with no hesitation.
I am a majestic force,
giving the world a hope to cling to.
I am a coyote, howling at the
moon with a new tune.
I am a bright star,
shining down with a different light.
I am a a leaf, the wind
eats my rottenness away and
pushes me out again
with the purest heart you
could imagine.
I am the color of a wave,
crashing on the sandy shore.
I am a leap, leaping
into a new world.
I am a purple sock,
sliding on to a land of toes.
I am a song, singing
to the sky.

-Estrella

I Am...

I am a Red Baron racing across the sky,
cackling as the Germans gaze upwards in fear.
I am a rocket racing across the playground,
leaping for love as I see a mud pile.
I am a pale, white apple that
stands out against the silver on a Mac Book Pro.
I am a slithering snake ready to catch
my defenseless, gray prey and kill it.
I am a car racing other cars on a big hoola hoop
called the Grand Prix in San Francisco, California.
I am a meadowlark in an apple tree, greeting
people to the morning light.
I am a leaf floating peacefully down to the ground
on Halloween watching devils, dragons, vampires,
monsters,pirates, tigers and lions pass gleefully by.
I am an eraser getting forced to rub
roughly against a piece of paper,
erasing pencil marks.

-Calvin

I Am...

I am a bunny hopping in my owners room
when she sleeps.
I am a swing who moves frontwards and backwards.
I am the sun who shines down on the city, Missoula.
I am what I am.

I am a pencil that waits for someone to use me.
I am a hot coat that waits in a locker to go outside.
I am a paper that waits to be used to draw and write.
I am what I am.

-Marie

5 comments: