Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Simile/Metaphor Poems

Today the children learned the difference between a simile and a metaphor. They used their understanding to write simile and metaphor based poems about themselves.

Who I Am In Simile and Metaphor

My hair is brown as hot chocolate in the winter.
My eyes are a light brown field of wheat.
My smile is a diamond sparkling.
My body is strong like a lion.
My brain is lots of electrical wires that help me think.
My voice soft like an angel's wings.
My imagination is a crazy, mythical world.
My heart holds love like the world.

-Maya

My hair is black like a black cat on Halloween.
My eyes are brown like thorns on a bush.
My smile is glittering crystals in a cave.
My body is as hot as fire.
My brain is a sandwich waiting to be filled.
My voice is a stream of water.
My heart holds a gentle wizard.
My imagination is like a leopard.
My face is like smooth pudding.

-Miko

My hair is as light as a candle flickering in the night.
My eyes are blue and brown like tornadoes in the brilliant water.
My smile is showing the gaps in my mouth.
My body holds my strength.
My heart holds the love of my family, the spirit of all love.
My imagination is wonderful laughing ideas that make my family laugh.

-Nina

My eyes are blue like a waterfall crashing against the smooth rocks.
My smile is a majestic blooming rose.
My body is as strong as a mountain, as smooth as rippling water in a stream.
My brain is as fast as a race horse.
My voice is as sweet and soothing as a dove.
My heart holds joy and love and peace. It holds anger and happiness.
My imagination is a rocket shooting into space, soaring with creativity and dreams.

-Eliana

My hair is as brown as a double-decker, chocolate ice cream cone.
My eyes are blue like a blue, 70-page notebook that has lakes all over it.
My body is as lean as a thick stick.
My brain is a small brain but I have a thick skull.
My voice is scratchy like nails scratching against a chalkboard.
My heart holds many things.
My imagination is a big, fat elephant.
My fingers are as fat as branches.

-Calvin

My hair is as goldy brown as the gorgeous main of a lion, with its great length.
My eyes are like marvelous spots on my face, just getting bigger and bigger.
My smile is a rose, shaped crescently.
My body is as tan as the fresh-growing wheat of a bluebird day.
My brain is a smart ball that holds all of my education.
My voice flies like the wind through the breeze.
My heart holds my loving family that is as sweet, kind, and graceful as a deer.
My imagination is a great wild adventure wherever I go!
My hands are as smooth as a ripe red apple, picked from a fresh tree.
My smooth hands help me write and draw beautifully miraculous drawings.
My stomach is smooth and easy to wash.
My arms may have a bit of hair, just like my legs, but for some strange reason, I'm very proud of that.
My nose is like a big strawberry, colored like a mango.
My lungs breathe big gusts of breath for my breathing.
I love me.

-Hannah B.

My hair is as dark as a chunk of mud on the ground.
My eyes are brown like my dad's in the sunshine.
My smile is a big curve on the beach.
My body is big as a big fish.
My brain is a walnut in a head.
My voice is loud like a screeching bird in a nest that there are babies in.
My heart holds lots of love that is as big as my bed.
My imagination is a big bag of Star Wars to play.

-Bruce

My hair is dark like a sweet molasses cookie.
My eyes are hazel like the bright sun hitting the amazing soil.
My smile is a strawberry jellybean.
My body is as strong as a tow truck pulling a large building.
My brain is a pencil, moving with joy.
My heart holds books that are filled with every feeling.
My imagination is a gesture to all insight.

-Liza

My hair is golden, like a bright golden eagle.
My eyes are blue like water.
My brain is a big mushy thing.
My voice is like a piece of junk.
My heart holds a devil.
My imagination is me, sky-diving.

-Garet

My hair is a bright as gold.
My eyes are blue like water.
My smile is white like paper.
My body is as tall as my dad.
My brain is a smarty pants.
My voice is low, like a mouse.
My heart holds laughter that is as loud as a roller coaster.
My imagination is a big bowl of ice cream.

-Oliver

My hair is as golden as sunlight on Fall leaves.
My eyes are brown like a chocolate river flowing.
My smile is bright like light.
My brain is a smart example of knowledge.
My voice is soft like a bird singing.
My heart holds love that is as strong as gold.
My imagination is a creative wonder that soars through the night.
My hands are as gentle as a bunny's ears.
I am shy but nice.

-Whitney

My hair is as brown as growing dirt.
My eyes are greenish, like zooming lime-colored, dazzling parrots.
My brain is as bright as a shimmering, number-shaped light bulb.
My imagination is skipping on and on about what I picture next.
My fingers are as strong as steel nails.
My elbows are as hard as rough rocks.

-Hayden

My hair is as dark as mud.
My eyes are like squirting oil churning out of a car.
My smile is like the sun.
My brain is a smart place to think.
My voice is like a bear.

-Nate

My hair is brown as the crumpled up dirt under ground.
My eyes are as green and brown as the dark green grass in the park and brown pebbles on the sidewalk.
My smile is as wonderful as the mountains.
My body is as strong as the rushing water on the river trail.
My brain is a pink thinking machine.
My voice is chiming like the bells at the church.
My heart holds all my cats that is as spectacular as the whole world.
My imagination is as wild as the roaring lions.

-Paige

My hair is as brown as light brown brownies.
My eyes are hazel like a river with green plants growing in it.
My smile is as wonderful as chocolate.
My body is as simple as a tree.
My brain is fresh, like clean water rushing through a stream.
My voice flows out like water draining out of a tub.
My heart holds kindness that is as loving as possible.
My imagination is a big blue ball of fire with orange streaks of orange.
My toes can separate as wide as 3 1/2 inches long, like a tiny sprout sprouting.
My belly button is a home for my finger.
My fingers help me with many things; they are as long as two hard-boiled eggs.

-Ellie J.

My hair is as golden as a fresh piece of gold sparkling in the sunlight.
My eyes are light brown like milk chocolate.
My smile is as wonderful as a diamond.
My body is a fast as a speed boat.
My brain is a very smart wonderful thing in my head.
My voice is soft like a dove.
My heart holds care and love that is as powerful as a strong tree.
My imagination is a dog soaring through the meadows.
My legs are fast like a car.
My lungs aren't that strong.
My toes are wiggly.
My fingers write and draw anything I want them to do.

-Dana

My hair is stiff as a straw hat.
My eyes are petrifying like a basilisk.
My smile is a crooked cliff.
My body is as tough as an iron block.
My brain is a blob and so is yours.
My voice is a growl.
My heart holds stuff that is as fierce as a hydra.
My imagination is an ant.

-Joe

My hair is like hot coffee in the oven.
My eyes are blue like the sparkling ocean.
My smile is as warm as a muffin.
My body is as sweet as candy.
My brain is like strawberry ice cream.
My voice is as powerful as the glittering sun.
My heart holds love like a rose in a heart.
My imagination is as wonderful as a magical land.
My face is as beautiful as fire.

-Wren

My hair is as yellow as sun shining.
My eyes are blue like the ocean.
My smile is beautiful.
My brain is a smart thing.
My voice sounds nice.
My heart holds love that is as happy as a rose.
My imagination is cute.

-Ellie S.

My hair is as sparkly as a golden field in the morning.
My brain is a puffy cloud floating by.
My pigtails are little pebbles.
My toes are wiggly worms.
My imagination is a raindrop growing into a big, bright sunset.
I love myself.

-Lily

My hair is as golden as the sun.
My eyes are blue like the glittering sky.
My smile is gold in a treasure chest.
My body is as sweet as a playful puppy.
My brain is as brilliant as math.
My voice is a playful parrot.
My hart holds many secrets like that
I can talk to birds.
My imagination is as big as a giant.

-Avery

My hair is as brown as a chocolate lab's fur.
My eyes are a ginger colored horse running through a field.
My smile is as bright as day.
My voice is the soft coo of a dove.
My heart holds love that is as sweet as chocolate.
My imagination is soft music.
My life is as beautiful as the summer breeze.

-Gillian

My hair is as golden-ish brown as a perfect roasted marshmallow over the fire.
My eyes are aqua like the sparkling watery reef far out in Australia.
My brain is an intelligent magnetic field full of answers.
My voice is bard like a brick wall.
My body is a warrior charging into battle.
My imagination is an awesome, thinking, working
mechanic, fixing a machine.

-Jack

My hair is as gold as a cool, shiny trophy.
My eyes are as blue as a sugary cupcake.
My smile is a glowing knife.
My brain is a well-oiled machine.
My voice creaks like a rusty car.
My heart holds crazy energy that
is waiting to be released.
My imagination is a wounded warrior on a battle field.

-Will

My hair is as red as blood dripping on my leg.
My eyes are blue as a river.
My body is a skinny snake.
My brain is as pink as my cat's nose.
My heart is love.
My imagination is a volcano.

-Collin

My hair is as short as a toothpick.
My eyes are rainbow diamonds.
My smile is a happy day.
My body is as bright as a boy.
My brain is smart like a book.
My voice is beautiful.
My heart holds my body.
My imagination is wonderful!

-Finn

My hair is dark brown like creamy chocolate pudding with
a bright, red raspberry on top.
My eyes are dark chocolate
sweet chocolate candy with peppermint inside.
My smile is a flower in bloom on a summer day.
My brain is an engine inside of me,
always working.
My voice is pure like the church bell in the steeple and
a meadowlark in a field.
My heart holds joy and love that is as pure and sweet
like a dog wagging it's tail.

-Ella

My hair is the bright sun.
My eyes are blue like the wavy ocean.
My smile is like pure gold.
My voice is like a blooming flower.
My heart holds the most love that is as wonderful
as a bright, red strawberry.
My imagination is a wonderland of everything.
My hands are like doves that
fly in the shining sky.

-Sophie

My hair is as blond as a muffin.
My eyes are blueish green like multi-color shadows.
My smile is as big as an anaconda.
My brain is a big clump of frozen worms.
My voice eats the air.

-Aidan

My hair is brown like soil that has just
been poured into the ground.
My eyes are brown like a trunk that just
grew this week.
My smile is twirly like the windy breeze.
My body is as strong and skinny as a gymnast
taking a back flip.
My brain is as enlightened as a dolphin.
My voice is weird
like a normal person walking down the street.
My heart is red and helpful and bleedy.
My imagination is a car/motor boat/helicopter/plane.
It's a lot of vehicles.

-Beckett

My hair is as brilliant as a new sunny sunflower.
My eyes are big and hopeful like a seed
waiting to be planted.
My smile is a white wonderland.
My voice laughs like the ocean's low rumble.
My heart holds sweetness that is as deep as a long, endless pit.
My imagination is a land filled with creatures of a place
never imagined before.

-Estrella

My hair is crazy like a hippie
and as long as a lion's mane.
My eyes are turquoise like the sunset
over the ocean.
My smile is happy but when I'm sad
it turns into a frown.
My brain is a smart rainbow.
My heart holds my cats that are as
funny as Calvin.
My imagination is a blur of joy.

-Max

My hair is as thick as a hot coat.
My eyes are brown and sparkling like the sun.
My smile is a warm hug.
My body is as tiny as February.
My brain is a machine that crackles and pops.
My voice is as soft as a drop of water
hitting the ground.
My heart holds kindness.
My imagination is as big as an apple.

-Marie

My hair is as dark brown as burnt bread
coming out of a smoky oven.
My eyes are dark like hot coffee.
My smile is a bright sunrise.
My brain is a wild, working machine.
My voice is fast like a race car.
My imagination is a big, blurry blob.

-Emiliano

My hair is as brown as a buffalo.
My eyes are green like an alligator.
My smile is an upside down triangle.
My body is full of energy like a horse.
My voice is a low tune.
My heart holds my life that is as important
as my mom.
My imagination is a thing that lets you
think about things that can't happen.

-Julian

My eyes are straightforward like a stick.
My body is as active as one of my mushrooms.
My brain is as crazy as a malfunctioning robot.
My voice can be fast like a flock of angry birds.
My heart holds L.O.V.E that is as charming as a bow tie.
My imagination is all over like a semi-truck.

-Ian

My hair is as gold as the trees in spring.
My eyes are brown like a boat floating ni a river.
My smile is as big as an elephant.
My body is as strong as a mountain.
My brain is a computer.
My voice is fast like a car running as fast as it can on a road.
My stomach is as full of water as the ocean.
My legs are as hard as giant boulders.
My arms are as hairy as Harry Potter.
My heart holds coolness that is as awesome as me.
My imagination is a giant world full of
niceness and happiness.

-Marcus

My hair is as brown as trees.
My eyes are fire like a knight with a sword.
My smile is evil like darkness.
My body is as harmless as a ninja in disguise.
My brain is a squishy guy that knows everything.
My voice is soft and colm like a VAMPIRE.
My heart holds a cool heartbeat, calm as a thump, thump, thump.
My imagination is a crazy mess.

-Benjamin Richardson

My hair is as soft as a lion's mane.
My eyes are hazel like a long blue ribbon of a river.
My smile is like the air.
My body is as swift as a cheetah.
My brain is a whirl of things.
My voice is soft and hard like a bird tweeting and a bear growling.
My heart holds happiness that is as good as a tree.
My imagination is a fearful thing for me and
a good thing for me.

-Sage

My hair is as thick as yogurt.
My eyes are round like a soccer ball.
My smile is a half moon.
My body is bony as a dog's bone.
My brain is as smart as a light bulb.
My imagination is as weird as a hot dog.
My belly button is a swirl of ice-cream.

-Ben Vetter

6 comments:

  1. What great poetry! Thanks for posting!
    - Helena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bruce,

    I really love when you said: "my hair is as dark as a pile of mud." It is a wonderful saying. It is a wonderful poem.

    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Benjamin Richardson,
    I loved your English poem about yourself.



    From:Emiliano

    ReplyDelete
  4. hbdeofdsybfpdgfa
    guhijokl;'
    srdftgyhujikl;'
    asdfghjkl;'
    asdfghjkl;'

    ReplyDelete