Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I love poems

Sheryl Noethe came to visit our class today and lead the class in an exercise titled, "I love my life!" She talked to the kids about the importance of detail over generalization and how unique, unusual images are often the most effective. Below is a smattering of what the students produced.

I love the beach
With it's speedy slimy crabs
I love the beach
With the sunrise coming across
the ocean to meet me and my dad
enjoying ourselves
on the fishing pier.

I love my bike
zipping down those hills
I just minutes before had to pedal up
I love my bike
bumping and bouncing on the tough rocks

I love my bike
With the wind in my ears
flying over the crunching leaves
I love my bike!

-Will

I love my life!
I love my honey-colored dog with his chocolate eyes.
I love the way his breath is like the powerful sun
showering me in heat and love.
I love the way my books pull me into a land
where I'm at peace with everything.
I love the way the snow falls on the strong trees
like drops of sunlight.
I love the way the flowers burst from the ground,
promising a majestic Spring.
I love the way my tiger-striped cat curls up with me
and purrs a lovely tune.
I love the times where everything is joined together
to have a happy picnic filled with God's blessings.
But most of all, I love to live on this glorious planet.
I love my life!

-Estrella

I love water slides and they joy of plunging into the water at the end.
Once on a trip I was coming out of the water slide and I flew!
I love the beach with shells and walking on the beach with the sunlight.
I love all my friends dearly, and two goods friends in particular,
Whitney and Dana.
They're funny and smart; we play a lot. (And I mean a lot!)
I love my pets. My dog Jack, my bid Lime, my gecko Mire, and
my hamster Squeeky.
I love my life.

-Ella

I love my life.
I love my imagination.
I dream about becoming a witch.
I mostly dream about things that can never happen, but can be imagined.
I love my warm, soft, cozy orange and white polka-dotted sheets
that cover my big bed.
I love my stuffed animal dog, Bacio.
I named him after an ice cream flavor - it means "kiss" in Italian.
He goes on every adventure with me.
I love when at night I go to close the chicken coop and
all my chickens are huddled together on the roost,
their little eyes closed like sunflower seeds.
I love my life.

-Eliana

I love being alive, that is because I can eat chocolate that melts in my mouth while it drips from my mouth and into my throat.
Caramel that is made with salt in it is a wonderful treat, just like sour candy.
I think I would love eels if I go to Japan.
I think it will be squishy like mud that looks like chocolate.
I love to make blankets.
I have one on my bed and it is very fuzzy.
I especially love brushing my teeth.
First you get rushing water from the faucet and then toothpaste, then scrub, scrub, you brush your teeth.

-Ellie J.

I love my life!
I loved when I got my furry dog, he was just a puppy and still huge.
His fur glistened in the sunlight.
His tail is like it's just out of control.
I also love playing with my fabulous friends,
Wren, Paige, Dana, and Whitney are their names.
I love when we run around the playground crazily.
I love when I eat chocolate; it melts in my mouth like butter.
I also love hot chocolate - the way it warms me up inside.
I love when I dream; I visit fabulous places, meet exotic creatures, and journey all over the world.
I love when my cat purrs when I pet his fur; it's all soft and cozy.
His purring makes me fall asleep. He is a glorious cat.
I love my amazing school.
The teachers are so nice, like when they help me with everything.
I love to learn in school.
I love multiplication, to learn new words in Spanish, to write and read in English, to off on far-off adventures in my book.
My life is a fabulous life!

-Maya

What I love about life!
Having all those good times with my dead dog, Maggie...
She was my favorite dog.
And doing shiny stars at night...
I love the outdoors; that was my favorite place to go with Maggie.
But my favorite thing is adventures and more adventures!

-Lily B.

I loved my life when I had my dog, Nadine.
She was so nice and she had three different colors.
Those colors were light and dark brown, and white.
Whenever I called her, she would come.
One the day she came, my mama and papa had saved her from getting put to sleep because her owner was moving and she had fleas, but they took her because I love dogs.
On the day that she died, I cried all day, even when I was at school.
I still cry about it.

-Sage

I love my wonderful dogs.
I love my loving family.
What I love about my dogs is that they make me feel safe.
And what I love about my family is they are always great to me.
Also what I love about life is that you have great experiences,
like when I went to Florida.
I would like to go back.
What I liked in Florida is when I went to Universal Studios or
when I went to Sea World.
But in Florida my favorite was Disney World.
My favorite ride there was Splash Mountain.
Also what I love about life is when you get to see the beautiful sights,
like this glistening snow in the sun when it's beautiful.
In life you can explore Nature when you are outside.
You can see the colorful sunset.
That is why I love life!

-Whitney

I love nature,
it's like sparkling snow.
I love the sunlight on the table,
it's like butter on pancakes.
I love my friends when we play in the
glittering snow.
I love my family,
it's like being protected.
I love books,
it's like being in a magical place.
I love school,
it's like being in my own world of learning.
I love the first snowfall,
ti's like being in my own little world.

-Wren

Somethings I like about my sizzling life is
building legos then
pulverizing them
into little teeny molecules
another totally awesome thing
I love about my
pulverizing lego life
is coming to school
and doing this totally
scorching activity
and writing whatever you want.
What good news!!!

-Aidan

I love doing
mobs of chaos
like toy bombs in my room.
I love climbing, like monkeys
swinging from tree to tree.
I love going on planes,
like I have feathers
like a bird.

-Julian

I love my life.
I love my imagination.
I dream about becoming a witch.
I mostly dream about things that
can never happen
but what can be imagined.
I love my warm, soft, cozy
orange and white polka dotted sheets
that cover my big bed.
I love my stuffed animal dog, Bacio.
I named him after an ice-cream flavor.
It means kiss in Italian.
He goes on every adventure with me.
I love when at night, I go to close
the chicken coop and
all my chickens are huddled together
on the roost, their little eyes
closed like sunflower seeds.
I love my life.

-Eliana

I love my awesome animal bear
named Red Paw and he loves
me too because I saved him
from a claw machine because
I could hear him saying,
"Help me, help me, please!"
and I could not stand
a stuffed animal in pain so
I gave the machine fifty cents
so I could get the stuffed animal
out of the prison that he was in.

-Bruce

I love the gold glittering mountains
and the hoot of the amazing great horned owl
swooping over the great, glittering snow
looking for rats, nuts, mice and small creatures.
I love the birds that sing in
the golden sun, flying over the ocean and trees
over the gold mountains
and when my dog flies into the wall when I throw
a toy across the slippery floor
and hits her head on the window.

-Avery

What I love about life...

When my sister is bothering me
When my family is crabby
I love to get comfortable
in a hot, pleasant bath.

When I wake up
with the sun in my eyes,
when the wild kitten is meowing
and the fishy cries,
It will be a great morning
as long as I
have a mug in my hands
and the blanket down to my thighs
I"ll take a long gulp
of the sugared and creamed
delicious
coffee

As I pack my colorful purse
get on my snug slippers
eat some sugar flakes
and head to Big Dipper
with the sun in my eyes
and the clouds all fogged up
I'll take a large slurp
of creamed sugar in a cup.

-Liza

When I pet my kittens soft, silky fur
when I'm sad, it makes me feel
safe and warm.

When I see the glittering snow in the sun,
it reminds me when I had snowball fights
with my dad and mom, and to see their glittering
smiles on their faces and when I hid and scared
my mom and dad and sunk in the snow.

When I jump up on my dad, I feel
safe and warm and loved.

When I see my cat Edgar,
it reminds me of my cat Alvin
who died. It reminds me when
I went to sleep, he would
curl up next to me, like
vanilla ice cream on a warm day.

-Miko

I love making things blow up
and video games too.
I love fuzzy stuff like stuffed animals,
I love plants and how they feel
like soft, wet squishy things,
I love rain because it is like
snow and snow turns into ice
and ice is cold and wet
and ice melts into rain
and rain is watery.
I love to dream of awesome,
unknown worlds like Sarsomoagontost
and the lost world of
Sarsomoagontost is the palace
of Hypno, Greek god of dreams
who can make whole cities go to sleep at once,
I also love collecting cards
and making cards too.
I love pizza because it is very cheesy,
I love sour candy and chocolate cake,
I love apples too.
They taste like sour candy.
I love Greek mythology and mushrooms,
mushrooms with rocket launchers are cool
because they go shooom boom.
That is what I love about life.

-Joseph

What I love about life...
I love when I taste
the juicy, tender sweet
mouth-watering
flavor of the scrumptious
chunky monkey ice-cream.

I love when I start to build
rough, bumpy legos
in every color and shape you can
think of.

I love when I'm zooming and having an
outrageous time
in the sparkling winter wonderland.

I love when I do math.
It's like numbers are
mushing each other together
like different types of pudding
getting put in the same bowl.

I love when I'm charging down a
water slide. It's like going
down a big rushing and warm slide.

-Hayden

What I love about my life is, as usual, mushrooms!
Because I thought they would be hilarious with weapons.
I also love life, chaos, and mobs because they are exciting, loud, and insane.
Making bombs and explosives with a Boom! Pow! Bang! Crash!

-Ian

I love football!
It's cool when it spirals through the air, like a little missle.
I feel happy when I'm 10 yards away from the touchdown.

-Ben

My life is wonderful!
My mom is the best mom that ever lived, a perfect dad that is hysterical, just like my little goof-off of a brother and a little pest for a sister on top.
My family and I have three cats that are the fuzziest in the world and two pesty female dogs who are always barking. (Probably because the younger one is always on a mission to gnaw on the older one's neck, which causes her to bark.)
I think, and my family thinks, that I'm great at drawing.
But when I draw locomotives and automobiles for my brother, he is always on a mission to make me realize I've forgotten some sort of detail.

-Hannah

I love my life!
I love when my cats purr beside my head while I'm sleeping
and when they run across the floor and play with me.
I love ice skating
across slippery ice
and skiing in
the cold, fluffy snow.

-Max

What I love in my life...
I loved my beautiful, furry dog that died two years ago.
I love my caring mom.
I love the big world and
I love our plans to go to Mexico.
I love English class
where we write great poems!

-Emiliano

What I love about life...
I love to play Tag with running kids everywhere.
I love Nature, with animals everywhere and the cool breeze gently going through the forest, with the animal sounds and the shining, golden sun.
I love ice cream when it melts on my tongue like snow, especially the flavor Huckleberry.

-Sophie

I love my life; it's so fun!
I love my cat, Stinky.
We got him from the Humane Society.
He was sick and abandoned.
We got him and he was better in no time because he had a loving home.
I also love other cats.
One of the cats I saw was very hurt - that cat was so cute and alone.
That cat was found frozen.
They helped him and now that cat has the best home he could ever have.

-Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment