Thursday, February 7, 2013

Simile and Metaphor

Our first poem involves the understanding of simile and metaphor.  A simple template helps students write about their physical and emotional selves through the use of these two poetic devices.

Racing Through Forests of Ideas

by Colette
My hair is as brown as dark, slippery wood.
My eyes are blue like shining, blue opals.
My heart holds love that is as strong as iron.
My imagination is a ball of energy,
racing through forests of ideas and creativity.

My dog, Nutmeg, is as fun as my favorite video game.


Me

by Jack Kinderwater

My hair is as brown as an angel fish
hiding in the mud.
My eyes are blue like lightening on
a summer night.
My smile is a white, squishy marshmallow.
My body is as big as a huge, strong giant.
My arms are as long as a giraffe's neck.
My brain is as smart as my dad.
My heart holds weirdness that is as strange as an ogascholcalto..
My imagination is a enormous whale shark,
swimming in the deep, cold ocean.

All the Happiness in the Universe
by Evelyn

My hair is as soft as snow
falling on the world.
My eyes are as pretty as the leaves
blowing with the wind.
My smile is all the happiness in the universe.
My body is as smooth as a shiny rock.
My toes are as cute as a baby born rabbit.
My brain is a squiggly glob of goo.
My voice is as pretty as a bird tweeting in the sunlight.
My heart holds love that is a pretty, soft, red cupcake.
My imagination is a creative machine:
I will think of anything.

The Rockstar
by Mia

My hair is as dark as dirt with
butterflies and grass.
My eyes are exactly like wood.
My smile is amazing like ladybugs.
My body is as strong as the trunks of rainforest trees.
My brain is a smart person like
a universal student.
My heart is flowing blood like
awesome horses racing through the wild.
My imagination is a rock star.

The Creative Robot Scientist
by Bennett

My hair is as brown as the trees
in winter, when all the leaves fall off.
My eyes are hazel like the planets at my house.
My smile is the bright shining sun.
my arms as strong as metal.
My legs are as fast as a cheetah.
My arms are as strong as a tree.
My belly eats as much as it can,
my stomach does too.
My lungs breathe as hard as a lion's roar.
My toes rest in my shoes as comfortable as a bed. 
My brain is a creative, robot scientist.
My voice is beautiful like a bird, willing a song.
My heart holds faith that is as strong as my spirit.
My imagination is as big as a ferry boat.

As Enormous as a Racing River
by Aidan

My hair is as blonde as a bee.
My eyes are as green as the rainforest.
My smile is happiness.
My body is as tall as a tree.
My brain is a big machine.
My voice is a wave in the roaring ocean.
My heart holds lots of happiness that is as
enormous as a racing river.
My imagination a big, thinking machine.

Jumping Squirrel
by Max

My hair is as brown as a squirrel jumping
on each branch of a tree.
My eyes are as brown as an acorn --
the squirrel jumps down and gets me.
My smile is the biggest one of all,
as big as a giant.
My body is as skinny as paper, just out of the printer.
My brain is a light bulb,
it turns on each second and I know everything.
My voice is like a chirping bird.
My heart holds love for my family and my cats.

My heart holds my family that is as loving as
a mama bear and her cubs.
My imagination holds fantastic fairy tales
that my mom reads to me.
In my imagination are millions of things --
dragons.
Everything is there.
Everything I tell you.

Wondrous Ideas
by Julio

My hair is as white as a seagull,
pecking a glimmering shell.
My eyes are blue like the sea
when waves are curling.
My smile is a brightening cloud,
blocking out the sun.
My body is as skinny as a stove pipe.
My brain is a pot of gold,
making new ideas.
My voice jumps like a bouncy ball,
shooting from wall to wall.
My heart holds love that is as
soothing as God.
My imagination is a land far away,
filled with wondrous ideas.

Open, Flowing Space
by Eden

My hair is as golden as the
treasure on an island. 
My eyes are blue like the deep, dark sea.
My smile is the glittering, sparkling star
up out in the galaxy.
My body is as joyful as a sun,
as awesome as me.
My brain is the open and flowing outer space.
My voice holds a key to the treasure box
when I sing.
My heart holds strength that is
as powerful as the great Wizard of Oz.
My imagination is the open,
flowing universe that people love.

Great Gusto
by Ana Maria

My hair is as brown as a piece of wood,
burning in the fire.
My eyes are curious like scientists searching for
peculiar medicines to use for ill patients.
My smile is a star in the night
that glows in the dark.
My body is as charming as a mermaid,
swishing in the ocean at midnight.
My brain is a radiant flower,
blooming in the sunlight.
My voice buzzes like a bee flying.
My heart holds beauty that is as
bright as the blazing sun on the sand.
My imagination is a wild shoe,
running with great gusto.

My Imagination
by Micah

My hair is as bright as gold in a carriage.
My eyes are as blue as the blue wind.
My smile is as bright as a sun.
My brain is as big as a big walnut,
cracking open with creativity.
My voice is as loud as an elephant
trampling tiny people.
My heart is a big balloon.
My imagination is another big walnut,
who's is best friends with my brain.

Transforming Super Star
by Ian

My hair is as blonde as a bullfish
on a surf board that is as brown as an owl.
My eyes are blue like a blueberry,
smushing into a waterfall.
My smile is as crazy as a monkey.
My body is as skinny as paper,
flat like road kill.
My brain is a transforming super star.
My voice is radical like a football
spinning so fast that it will pop out of earth.
My heart holds so much that is so hyper,
like I've had too much candy.
My imagination is a dark place where
you don't know what will happen.
My soul is so sporty,
it is likely able to shred in places.

My Imagination is an Airplane
by Shaeli

My hair is as brown as a tree trunk
and as light as the sun.
My eyes are as brown as a pencil
or the dirt.
My smile is as sweet as a flower,
swaying in the wind.
My body is as scrawny as a little
birds legs in a nest.
My brain is a big,
groovy ball.
My voice is low like a horn.
My heart holds lots of love that is
happy and awesome.
My imagination is an airplane,
soaring across the sky, looking for
a new adventure.

A World Full of Pheonixes
by Karma

My hair is a cracked hazelnut,
dangling down my head.
My eyes are a blue river,
floating through me.
My smile is a cliff, tumbling down.
My body is a tree, standing up tall,
looking down on everyone.
My brain is a train taking me through my mind.
My voice is a fire circle on
the Fourth of July.
My heart holds me together and
keeps me happy.
My imagination is a world full of 
pheonixes, playing with the dragons,
my friends and me.

Brain Like the Internet
by Faris

My hair is as brown as a chocolate river.
My eyes are hazel like hazelnuts
 in a big bowl.
My smile is as big as the stars.
My body is handsome as Justin Bieber.
My brain is a big Internet.
My heart holds friends, that are
as close as can be.
My imagination is a big dream.

Eyes like the Misty Sapphire
by Ruby

My hair is as brown as the oak tree
where the nymph of life lives.
My eyes are like the misty sapphire,
that glistens in the silvery moonlight.
My voice springs up to meet
the looming trees.
My heart holds the crimson jewels of
a king as radiant as the tiger of the sun.
My imagination is a biting flavor,
burning in me.
My spirit is the vibrant walking stick
I carry, with gold.
My thoughts are the shadowy forests.
I am the fiery, electronic thunderstorms
rumbling through the pure sky.

The Beat of a Rockstar Dancer
by Ari

My hair is a penguin as it
waddles on the wet, cool ice.
My eyes are like the smooth wood.
My smile is like a "C" upside down.
My body is a moving tiger
that walks like a rockstar dancer.
My brain is a big of a big dream.
My voice is a rat running away.
My heart holds a lot of love that is
as strong as the beat of a drum.
My imagination is a scientific process
moving around like jets zipping
through the silky air.

The Secret Waiting to be Told
by Allison

My hair is as golden as the crinkling sand
that runs through my feet.
My eyes are blue like the sky,
pushing me away.
My smile is warm like the burning sun.
My blood flows through me as
quick as an arrow.
My brain is a squishy piece of cheese
falling off my plate.
My voice dances like a dolphin
swimming through the water.
My heart holds a secret that is
waiting to be told.
My imagination is a carton of milk,
getting hogged by my brother.

As Fancy as a Rose
by Joanna

My hair is as straight as a wall
touching the space.
My eyes are as big as a bulldozer.
My smile is as fancy as a rose.
My body is as heavy as a stone.
My brain is as smart as a scientist.
My voice vibrates like a violin.
My heart holds 10,000 sparkles that make
me feel happy.
My imagination is as bright as the sun.

My Brain is a Meteor, Crashing
by Clayton

My hair is as blonde yellow as a
country on a map.
My eyes are brown like the bark on a tree.
My smile is a banana.
My body is as strong as stone.
My brain is a meteor crashing.
My voice is loud like a gorilla.
My heart holds blood that is as red as ink.
My imagination is a block of goo.

Friendship Dragon
by Gabriella

My hair is as brown as a coconut tree.
My eyes are brown like a monkey
swinging across the vines.
My smile is like a golden red apple.
My body is as happy as a ship on the
blue, smooth ocean.
My voice is a butterfly, peacefully
floating by.
My heart holds love and peace that is a dragonfly
flying heavenly down.
My imagination is a friendship dragon.

As Big as Every Universe Combined
by Liam

My hair is as yellow as a bright sun.
My eyes are as blue as the waves of the ocean.
My smile is a bright red, boring chair.
My body is like a monkey fiddling around.
My brain is a brown curled up snake.
My voice is so loud that it makes the world shake.
My heart holds love that is as strong as a diamond post.
My imagination is as big as every universe combined.

The Orchestra Booming at the Sky
by Chloe

My hair is as golden and as shimmering as
a yellow sapphire.
My eyes are blue like the shining ocean water.
My smile is a day full of politeness.
My body is as light as a glossy sea-star,
red in the water.
My brain is as delicate as a princess.
My lungs breathe deep booming breaths
that soar through the air.
My voice sings like an orchestra,
booming at the sky.
My heart holds love that is as soothing
as calm music, floating through the clouds.
My imagination is a talking doll that
sizzles in the burning light.

I Am Free!
by Cyrus

My hair is as curly as quivering snakes.
My eyes are brown like a tree, dancing in the sky.
My smile is a happy, flying fox that sings,
"I am free!"
My body is as quick as a flash of a silver arrow.
My brain is an intelligent book when it comes to physics.
My voice is happy like a bald eagle,
flying in the wind.
My hearth holds happiness that is as
bright as the rain forest.
My imagination is chemicals
bubbling in a lab.
My legs are as speedy as sun bolts,
winning the cup.
The science from my brain is like
the smartest scientist in the world.

Frantic as a Worm
by Ray

My hair is as brown as moist soil.
My eyes are brown like a soft buffalo.
My smile is a happy, prancing pony.
My body is as frantic as a worm.
My brain is a machine working all day.
My voice is a beautiful, sparkling toucan.
My heart holds loving strength that is as
powerful as imagination.
My imagination is an arrow piercing a deer.

A Lively, Relentless Dance
by Grace

My hair is as flighty as a quiet bird, 
sailing on the gentle, murmuring wind.
My eyes are expressive like a coarse wind,
biting and burning, while also silkily encircling the astonished victims.
My smile is radiant molten lava, sharp and spicy,
yet sweet.
My soul is as graceful as a poor child,
receiving an important, rare gift, excited and thankful.
My brain is a brilliant hawk, yet as foreign as an eagle's mind.
My voice swirls like a lively, relentless dance
over the frail clouds.
My heart holds lovely music that is as cheerful and
pleasant as a delighted child, yet lonely and calm.
My imagination is a wild child screaming as she dances
around the park merrily, seeing flashes of clever
ideas in her mind's eye. 

A Picture of  Gold
by Rex

My hair as brown as rick, dark chocolate.
My eyes are green like fresh grass.
My smile is like a banana.
My body is as perfect as a picture of gold.
My brain is a big blood cell that is very smart.
is like a picture of gold that is super calm.
My heart holds a lot of stuff that is as funny as Popeye.
My imagination is a weird thing.

Eyes like the Rainforest
by Liam M.

My hair is as brown as a cream chocolate bar.
My eyes are like the rainforest in many colors.
My smile is a weird thing-a-ma-bobber.
My brain is a smart dolphin.
My voice is a very ravenous rhino.
My heart holds blood that is very dark,
like a hole.

Sharp as Flint
by Henry

My hair is as brown as the dirt at my house in summer.
My eyes are hazel like the lilacs in my garden.
My brain is as sharp as flint and as smart as Albert Einstein.
My heart holds blood that is pumped through
my body through arteries and other veins
like a race car.
My imagination is a bunch of creative things
and pranks on Edwin.

My Imagination is a Bird that Flies
by Thalia

My hair is as brown as a chocolate chip, dipped in Nutella.
My eyes are dark brown like the bottom of a polluted ocean.
My smile is  as pure and kind as a yellow meadow.
My body is as skinny as a toothpick.
My brain is a mechanical workshop filled with information.  
My voice is a pretty, high-pitched bell, ringing (except when I'm sick).
My bones are as strong and tough as
Percy Jackson's sword.
My heart holds lots of love that is
more powerful than anything in the world,
even though my heart is tiny.
My imagination is a bird that flies all day
and night and never stops.


Heart as Big as the Universe
by Piper

My hair is as long and soft as a strong, silk rope.
My eyes are light blue like a storm on the ocean.
My smile is as red as a juicy, red cherry.
My body is as soft as a warm, comfy blanket.
My brain is a bright star shining in the galaxy.
My voice is a calm, still sea.
My heart holds love that is a fire,
burning by the radiant sunset,
as big as the universe.

A Creative Lump of Meatloaf
by Cc

My hair is as brown as the dirt Peyton kicks.
My eyes are as hazel as Hazel the dog.
My smile is like a big watermelon.
My body is as clean as the blue sea.
My brain is a big creative lump of meatloaf.
My voice is like music to my ears and
sounds like a karaoke machine.
My heart holds the key that is as gold
as the hair on some people's heads.
My imagination is a piece of my meatloaf brain.

My Brain is a Book


by Sasha

My hair is as black as Snapes
awful, bitter hair.
 My eyes are brown like a pair of monkeys
jumping around like crazy.
My smile is as silly as a tiger's smile.
My body is growing like Saruman's power.
My brain is a book full of stories and characters.
My voice is like a squirrel's chatter.
My heart holds books that are as humongous
as all the Lord of the Rings together in one book.
My imagination is as big as the Oxford Dictionary.
My spirit is extraordinary like a bottle of champagne!

Like A Rocket Across the Room
by Arianna

My hair is as golden as the sun.
My eyes are as green as the ocean and as brown as the sand.
My voice shoots like a rocket across the room.
My heart holds energy that is as psych
as the boys in our class.
My imagination is a big blob of jello
with tons of cells and blood vessels.
My spirit is as dark as a black diamond
that lets off bad energies.

A Chatterbox Racing Like the Wind
by Alexis

My hair is as dirty blonde as a tree truck
when winter has ended.
My eyes are greenish-blue like the ocean
on a sunny day when the water sparkles.
My smile is as white as snow when it shines.
My body is golden with a splash of white
like a hill of dry grass.
My voice is calm like a butterfly.
My heart holds as much happiness
and love as possible.
My imagination is a chatterbox
racing like the wind.

As Glossy as a Gorgeous, Shimmering Sun
by Julianne

My hair is as pretty as the glimmering sun light
in the early morning.
My eyes are brown like the silky soil in
the Mexican sunshine.
My smile is as glossy as a gorgeous shimmering sun.
My body is a pretty beautiful woman, walking through town.
My brain is as smart as a scientist.
My voice is as smooth as a goldfish,
swimming through the Bigfoot River.
My heart holds love like a person that is
sweet and kind.
My imagination is a big place that makes
lots of people smile.

Howling to the Radiant Moon
by Camille

When my eyes water,
they are like hazel nuts, cracking.
When I die, I will still be with you.
My hair is brighter than the sun
dropping to earth.
My voice is like a lion roaring
or a wolf howling to the radiant moon.
When I smile, it makes everything shine.
My body is rock hard,
it can survive Ninjas or sharp knives
staring at me.
I imagine myself right now
racing to Jupiter.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Rex,
    Your poem, A Picture of Gold, was the best poem ever! I cracked up when I read it!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah,
    I like the "big walnuts". Very descriptive.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faris, I like the part in your poem when you said ''my brain is the internet''.


    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Henry,
    I love your poem. I like the line "sharp as flint".


    Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liam,
    I did read your poem but the title was weird.


    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piper your title is silly, the title from simile ,,,sinsenrly sasha

    ReplyDelete